Saturday 15 March 2014

The No-Makeup Challenge

My very good friend tagged me in a Facebook post of hers yesterday called the No-Makeup Selfie. This has been circulating around Facebook prompting women to upload photos of themselves with a face free of makeup in honor of those battling cancer. Au Naturel. This seemed like perfect timing because exactly one day previous to this I considered opting out of getting a much needed coffee on my way home from driving my beau to work in the morning because I was completely makeup-less."No way can I be in public without makeup, that's just crazy."And then I thought about why I wear makeup in the first place.

I enjoy using makeup as a tool to create a look that I feel suites me and that look changes as I do. Although I'm sure few others would notice the subtle differences, I love looking back at pictures from past years and remembering how I chose to represent myself then. These changes embody some kind of progression. In a way it tracks my states of mind, my experiences, my evolution. I could look at an old photo of myself and tell just by my eyebrow shape what was happening in my life at that time. I carry a subjective interpretation of my current self plastered right on my face wherever I go. I've gotten so used to expressing myself through makeup that I almost forgot that I am still me without it. I should not be hesitant to uncover the canvas beneath because without the canvas...there would be nothing at all.

A shortened version of this narrative ran through my head after dismissing the idea of stopping for a coffee due to my lack of self expression painted on my face. In an instant it hit me that it is not a characteristic of mine to give a damn about the opinion of those who look at my face at 8 o'clock in the morning or any other time of day for that matter. I then proceeded to pull over in front of a coffee shop and get myself a coffee. That moment in time captured me perfectly, no need to hide it from anyone. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it shouldn't be a challenge to be in public without makeup. And it shouldn't be a challenge to post a photo of myself on Facebook without makeup. It's my face. That's it.

~K










1 comments:

krystal kesson said...

AMEN!!! I am the same...A bit different..theres days when I do the WHOLE make-up routine...but I am a bit less of a makeup girl...I do that on days I go out so I always thought of myself as a girl who "doesnt always wear make-up" but by that I mean I don't always put the eyeliner and shadow and foundation and all that....so ok I don't wear makeup, right? But I wont ever leave the house without at least mascara, cover up and lip gloss. It's such a part of my routine, like brushing my teeth, that I forget that is still putting on makeup. I work 12 hour graveyard shits and sleep is so valuable but I still wake up and give myself enough time to at least to that to my face. It's weird, as you said that we seem to get so used to this routine and forget taht we still are us without it!! Great post! Keep the blog up! You look just as gorgeous without the makeup as you do without:) xxx
Krystal

Post a Comment